When you’re deciding how to create a website, the very first thing you have to consider is its purpose. If your website is strictly a hobby, use anything you can find that looks like a go and have fun. If you want to create a website that makes money, there are some methods that have been proven successful. Below are introductory steps for anyone at the starting gate of creating their own website.
How to Create a Website, Step 0: Don’t Overthink or Overcomplicate It.
Getting stuck in planning or “analysis paralysis” causes tons of people to never finish their project to the point of it being successful. I recommend completing a strong first version of your website quickly. Then work on improving it while it is online, rather than tackling every idea you have right away
These introductory steps below can get your business website online and at a professional-level starting point for less than $400. From there, you can build on these steps to grow your website, make improvements as needed and customize in ways that work well for your company’s needs.
How to Create a Website, Step 1: The Platform.
The first, most important task of creating your website is choosing the type of platform to build it on. After building hundreds of websites using a variety of different ways and platforms over my career, I’ve found WordPress to be the best platform for most web developers.
Here are a few reasons why I recommend using WordPress:
- It’s easy to use.
- It’s both super powerful and very flexible.
- It has a strong developer community that ensures it stays up to date.
- It can grow with your company.
- With so many WordPress professionals out there (including yours truly), you can easily hire someone when you need help.
How to Create a Website, Step 2: Web Hosting.
When you’re deciding how to create a WordPress website, the right web host is an extremely important part of the process. It’s important because WordPress uses a database that changes on an ongoing basis.
Also, WordPress is a third-party platform. While many low-cost hosting solutions offer WordPress support, most do not have a solid understanding of how it works. Therefore, use a WordPress-specific hosting provider. A premium managed WordPress hosting provider has a strong understanding of how WordPress works and how it will change in the future.
Professional WordPress websites can benefit tremendously from the many features WordPress-specific hosting companies provide. If you’re a sole proprietor, a non-web developer, or a big business that lacks a WordPress-savvy IT department, you want to make sure your WordPress-specific hosting company provides these essential features:
- Automatic security and up-to-date automatic upgrades.
- 24-hour phone support with a team that understands WordPress as their primary platform.
- Built-in tools to ensure a high-speed website.
- Hosting-level protection that ensures you don’t add anything harmful to your site.
Who do we use and recommend? WP Engine, and here’s why:
- They are established as a leader in their field.
- They provide a solid infrastructure optimized for WordPress.
- They include website maintenance throughout the year.
- They are well staffed and provide top-notch support for their users.
If you’re using WordPress, that’s huge!
Because of the services they provide, WP Engine will cost more than a generic low-cost hosting company. But the amount of money and time you will save should problems come up is worth the upfront cost.
How to Create a Website, Step 3: Making the WordPress Website
One of the best parts about working with WordPress is the level of online instruction that shows you how to get started. At the end of this explanation regarding what to use to make your WordPress website I’ve included links to several video instruction courses. Often they have free trials long enough to complete the course you need to watch without having to pay for anything.
The Genesis framework is made up of two parts. Part one is the Genesis framework itself. Part two is an accompanying child theme. This child theme is the customized look and layout of your website. This allows you to buy the Genesis theme and pick a child theme that is closest to what you are trying to achieve online.
I recommend finding a child theme that is close to what you would like to do and adjust your plan online to match the layout of the theme or hire someone to make necessary modifications to the out-of-the-box appearance of the child theme.
To get a comprehensive review and a ton more information about the Genesis framework, feel free to read our review here.
Pro Trail Blazer Tips:
- Make sure to buy the Genesis framework. This will give you access to step-by-step installation instructions that are extremely easy to use. This will also give you access to a forum brimming with people willing to help.
- When you purchase a Genesis framework child theme, make sure to purchase an HTML5 child theme.
- If you enjoy video tutorials, Treehouse has a Genesis-specific course that will show you everything you need to know in two hours. I strongly recommend it.
How to Create a Website, Step 4: Get on Google
Getting found on search engines (especially Google) is extremely important whether you are a local or national business. There are a surplus of free steps you can take to make this easier. There are also premium options giving you an even better end result of being found online. After you have gotten your website hosted, set up your theme, and gotten started with your content, start the process of getting it found by others!